(b) Obligations related to and methods of ensuring services
- The Chief Executive Officer of a State or designee of the officer shall ensure that an interagency agreement or other mechanism for interagency coordination is in effect between each public agency and the designated lead agency, in order to ensure—
- (i) the provision of, and financial responsibility for, services provided under this subchapter; and
- (ii) such services are consistent with the requirements of section 1435 of this title and the State’s application pursuant to section 1437 of this title, including the provision of such services during the pendency of any such dispute.
- The Chief Executive Officer of a State or designee of the officer shall ensure that the terms and conditions of such agreement or mechanism are consistent with the terms and conditions of the State’s agreement or mechanism under section 1412(a)(12) of this title, where appropriate.
- If a public agency other than an educational agency fails to provide or pay for the services pursuant to an agreement required under paragraph (1), the local educational agency or State agency (as determined by the Chief Executive Officer or designee) shall provide or pay for the provision of such services to the child.
- Such local educational agency or State agency is authorized to claim reimbursement for the services from the public agency that failed to provide or pay for such services and such public agency shall reimburse the local educational agency or State agency pursuant to the terms of the interagency agreement or other mechanism required under paragraph (1).
- The requirements of paragraph (1) may be met through—
- (A) State statute or regulation;
- (B) signed agreements between respective agency officials that clearly identify the responsibilities of each agency relating to the provision of services; or
- (C) other appropriate written methods as determined by the Chief Executive Officer of the State or designee of the officer and approved by the Secretary through the review and approval of the State’s application pursuant to section 1437 of this title.
(1) Establishing financial responsibility for services
(A) In general
(B) Consistency between agreements or mechanisms under subchapter II
(2) Reimbursement for services by public agency
(A) In general
(3) Special rule
Last modified on November 7, 2019