The Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) is responsible for monitoring and supporting states’ implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). OSEP’s accountability is designed to best support states’ efforts to improve outcomes for infants, toddlers, children, and youth with disabilities and their families.
Results Driven Accountability
OSEP’s accountability system—Results Driven Accountability (RDA)—focuses OSEP’s resources on supporting states to fully implement the IDEA and improve outcomes for infants, toddlers, children, and youth with disabilities and their families.
RDA has three components:
- Ensuring improved outcomes for infants, toddlers, children, and youth with disabilities.
- Complying with the IDEA programmatic requirements.
- Complying with Federal fiscal requirements.
- Collecting and reporting valid and reliable data.
- Ensuring implementation of the state’s State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP).
Learn more about Results Driven Accountability.
OSEP monitors states’ procedures for ensuring compliance with the fiscal requirements of Part B of the IDEA and related statutes and regulations.
OSEP’s fiscal monitoring includes:
- on-site visits and telephone interviews
- reviews of publicly available information
- state-submitted documentation
- Uniform Guidance from the Office of Management and Budget‘s and audits from the Office of Inspector General
Monitoring (under previous accountability systems)
Prior to 2011, OSEP reviewed both the Part C and Part B systems as a part of its Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System.
OSEP issued letters to each of the states visited to inform them of the review results.
Part B Maintenance of State Financial Support Waivers
Under 34 CFR 300.163(a), a state is required to make available at least the same amount of funds for special education and related services for children with disabilities as it did in the previous fiscal year. This is called Maintenance of State Financial Support (MFS).
A state may request a one-year waiver of the maintenance of state financial support requirement.