(a) General. Upon completion of the administration of assessments and other evaluation measures—
(1) A group of qualified professionals and the parent of the child determines whether the child is a child with a disability, as defined in §300.8, in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section and the educational needs of the child; and
(2) The public agency provides a copy of the evaluation report and the documentation of determination of eligibility at no cost to the parent.
(b) Special rule for eligibility determination. A child must not be determined to be a child with a disability under this part—
(1) If the determinant factor for that determination is—
(i) Lack of appropriate instruction in reading, including the essential components of reading instruction (as defined in section 1208(3) of the ESEA as such section was in effect on the day before the date of enactment of the Every Student Succeeds Act (December 9, 2015));
(2) If the child does not otherwise meet the eligibility criteria under §300.8(a).
(c) Procedures for determining eligibility and educational need.
(1) In interpreting evaluation data for the purpose of determining if a child is a child with a disability under §300.8, and the educational needs of the child, each public agency must—
(i) Draw upon information from a variety of sources, including aptitude and achievement tests, parent input, and teacher recommendations, as well as information about the child’s physical condition, social or cultural background, and adaptive behavior; and
(ii) Ensure that information obtained from all of these sources is documented and carefully considered.
(2) If a determination is made that a child has a disability and needs special education and related services, an IEP must be developed for the child in accordance with §§300.320 through 300.324.
(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1414(b)(4) and (5))
[71 FR 46753, Aug. 14, 2006, as amended at 72 FR 61307, Oct. 30, 2007; 82 FR 29761, June 30, 2017]
Severe Discrepancy, Screening
idea_regulations-template-default single single-idea_regulations postid-60445 wp-custom-logo wp-embed-responsive with-font-selector no-anchor-scroll footer-on-bottom animate-body-popup social-brand-colors hide-focus-outline link-style-standard has-sidebar content-title-style-normal content-width-normal content-style-boxed content-vertical-padding-show non-transparent-header mobile-non-transparent-header kadence-elementor-colors elementor-default elementor-kit-82278 Sec.300.306Determinationofeligibility Sec.300.306Determinationofeligibility Sec 300306 Determination of eligibility Sec 300 306 Determination of eligibility Sec. 300.306 Determination of eligibility Sec.300.306Determinationofeligibility Sec. 300.306 Determination of eligibility Sec.300.306Determinationofeligibility Sec.--300.306-Determination-of-eligibility Sec. 300.306 500 of eligibility Sec.--300.306-500-of-eligibility Sec.300.306500ofeligibility