(c) Expedited due process hearing.
(1) Whenever a hearing is requested under paragraph (a) of this section, the parents or the LEA involved in the dispute must have an opportunity for an impartial due process hearing consistent with the requirements of §§300.507 and 300.508(a) through (c) and §§300.510 through 300.514, except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) through (4) of this section.
(2) The SEA or LEA is responsible for arranging the expedited due process hearing, which must occur within 20 school days of the date the complaint requesting the hearing is filed. The hearing officer must make a determination within 10 school days after the hearing.
(3) Unless the parents and LEA agree in writing to waive the resolution meeting described in paragraph (c)(3)(i) of this section, or agree to use the mediation process described in §300.506—
(i) A resolution meeting must occur within seven days of receiving notice of the due process complaint; and
(ii) The due process hearing may proceed unless the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties within 15 days of the receipt of the due process complaint.
(4) A State may establish different State-imposed procedural rules for expedited due process hearings conducted under this section than it has established for other due process hearings, but, except for the timelines as modified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section, the State must ensure that the requirements in §§300.510 through 300.514 are met.
(5) The decisions on expedited due process hearings are appealable consistent with §300.514.
Last modified on May 3, 2017