Career and Technical Education, and Adult Education

Career and Technical Education Programs

Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006

This act increases the focus on the academic achievement of students in technical and career education.

Section 116, Native American Programs

Native American Programs have been funded since the 1970s.  These grants are awarded to eligible entities, such as Villages, Groups, Regional Corporations, Village Corporations, Bureau-funded schools, Indian tribes, and Tribal organizations.  The grants help support the career and technical training of Native American and Alaska Native students for certificate and associate degree programs in health services, tourism, automotive technology, early childhood development, and many more.   The grants typically fund tuition, stipends, books, fees, childcare, and additional program related expenses.

Section 117, Tribally Controlled Postsecondary Career and Technical Institutions

This program makes grants available to tribally controlled postsecondary career and technical institutions that do not receive assistance under the Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universitities Assistance Act. The overall goal is to increase access to and improve career and technical education that will strengthen workforce preparation, employment opportunities, and lifelong learning in the Indian community.  There are two institutions that fall under TCPCTI that meet the eligibility requirements for this program: Navajo Technical College (Navajo Tech); United Tribes Technical College (UTTC). 

Adult Education

Adult Education programs provide adults basic education, secondary education, and English Language Acquisition. The Division of Adult Education, within the Office of Vocational and Adult Education, provides funding for states to support adult education and literacy programs.  Determined by a formula established by Congress, each state receives a certain amount of this funding.  To find out more about how to obtain this funding for adult education programs, please check with your respective state offices.