The Initiative will host its 5th Annual National HBCU Week Conference Career and Recruitment Fair on September 28, 2023, in the DC Metro Area. The career fair will welcome 500-800 in-person job seekers. This year’s career fair theme is Career Pathways and Economic Mobility: advancing and maximizing programs, resources, and initiatives that support the recruitment of HBCU talent, human capital, and career advancement opportunities; with an underlying objective to identify and fill available opportunities on-site. This career fair will feature professional development sessions, direct hiring and recruitment opportunities grouped into the following paths of engagement:
- Career Services Supports (i.e., Wraparound Services)
- Career Pathways Development (Internships/Fellowships)
- Experiential Learning
- Workforce Development (Faculty Development Opportunities, Executive in Residence)
- Access and Affordability
The 2023 Career and Recruitment Fair will be a full day, in-person event held on Thursday, September 28, 2023. There are two ways in which federal agencies, private sector employers, educational associations, philanthropic or organizations can participate in this event: (1) Host a Career Fair Session or (2) Participate in our General Hiring and Recruiting efforts.
Note: Organizations are not limited to just one option.
The Initiative’s HBCU Week Career and Recruitment Fair opportunities will be open to all National Annual HBCU well participants as well as the general public.
YOUR INITIATIVE CAREER FAIR ADVISOR AND POINT OF CONTACT
Elyse Jones, Management and Program Analyst, Student Outreach and Engagement, Elyse.Jones@ed.gov
The Initiative reserves the right to select organizations on best fit according to information provided.
- Applicant must represent individuals/organizations that provide available career, professional development services, apprenticeships and/or internship and fellowship opportunities to those seeking employment. Opportunities in the area previously listed should be PAID opportunities.
- We welcome applications that outline FREE services that will enhance the personal and professional development of attendees. Free services include: professional development, mock interviews, resume writing, mentorship, counseling, mental health services, free innovation summits/competitions, access to research labs, Training/Certificates/Degrees etc.
- Organization must have real-time, tangible opportunities for students, recent graduates and/or alumni. Opportunities should be visibly available at the table and virtually.
- Simulations, interactive experiences and “swag” items and giveaways are welcomed and encouraged.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
HBCU Career Fair Guidance – This is general information and guidance on how to submit your requests for sessions or booths during the Career and Recruitment Fair.
Career Fair Session Proposal Form -Use this form if you want to provide session content during the Career and Recruitment Fair.
Gen Hiring Recruitment Form– Use this form if you are interested in a booth during the Career and Recruitment Fair.
- Identify one person with whom our Conference Advisor can communicate regarding the career fair proposal.
- Provide a brief overview of your organization, the career, fellowship/internship, or higher education opportunities you plan to offer during the career and recruitment fair.
- Save the form as your organization name and submit the form by email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line: “HBCU Week Career Fair Application: Organization Name”
- All applications must be submitted no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.
CAREER FAIR OBJECTIVES
- Recruit HBCU talent;
- Inform attendee and students of sources housed in both the public and private sector;
- Introduce HBCU community and students to career, fellowship, internship, and higher education opportunities; and
- Establish professional relationships that will expand networks and enhance professional development.
HBCU CAREER FAIR PRIORITIES
- Increase awareness of Public/Private Programs
- Share Career Pathways
- Increase Equity and Access
- Expand Outreach and Networks
- Recruitment of HBCU Talent
- Share Economic & Community Opportunities
DEADLINE & SELECTION TIMELINE
- Application deadline is June 2, 2023.
- Approved applications will be notified on or before August 2, 2023.
In-person booths are limited. The Initiative reserves the right to make the final decision for all in-person booth space allocations.
The Initiative will provide the venue information to approved employer vendors only. This event is FREE for employer support staff and external participants. Career Fair Registration is required for all staff, support staff and attendees.