The types of reviews the NACIQI considers as part of the recognition process include:
- Initial Recognition;
- Renewal of Recognition;
- Compliance Reports;
- Expansions of Scope;
- Reviews during the period of recognition under 34 CFR 602.33;
- Informational Reports; and
- Reports of Significant Enrollment Growth.
A recognition decision is made by the senior Department official (the Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education) within 90 days of the NACIQI meeting. It is based on the following items:
- Material provided to NACIQI;
- Transcript of NACIQI meeting;
- NACIQI recommendation;
- Staff recommendation;
- Third party comments and responses; and
- Other information/evidence allowed under certain conditions.
See http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg3.html#Recognition for a detailed description of the recognition review process.