(b) Application management
- The Secretary shall establish and use a standing panel of experts who are qualified, by virtue of their training, expertise, or experience, to evaluate each application under part B or C that requests more than $75,000 per year in Federal financial assistance.
- The standing panel shall include, at a minimum—
- (i) individuals who are representatives of institutions of higher education that plan, develop, and carry out high quality programs of personnel preparation;
- (ii) individuals who design and carry out scientifically based research targeted to the improvement of special education programs and services;
- (iii) individuals who have recognized experience and knowledge necessary to integrate and apply scientifically based research findings to improve educational and transitional results for children with disabilities;
- (iv) individuals who administer programs at the State or local level in which children with disabilities participate;
- (v) individuals who prepare parents of children with disabilities to participate in making decisions about the education of their children;
- (vi) individuals who establish policies that affect the delivery of services to children with disabilities;
- (vii) individuals who are parents of children with disabilities ages birth through 26 who are benefiting, or have benefited, from coordinated research, personnel preparation, and technical assistance; and
- (viii) individuals with disabilities.
- No individual shall serve on the standing panel for more than 3 consecutive years.
- The Secretary shall ensure that each subpanel selected from the standing panel that reviews an application under part B or C includes—
- (i) individuals with knowledge and expertise on the issues addressed by the activities described in the application; and
- (ii) to the extent practicable, parents of children with disabilities ages birth through 26, individuals with disabilities, and persons from diverse backgrounds.
- A majority of the individuals on each subpanel that reviews an application under part B or C shall be individuals who are not employees of the Federal Government.
- The Secretary may use funds available under part B or C to pay the expenses and fees of the panel members who are not officers or employees of the Federal Government.
- The Secretary may use not more than 1 percent of the funds appropriated to carry out part B or C to pay non-Federal entities for administrative support related to management of applications submitted under part B or C, respectively.
(1) Standing panel
(A) In general
(2) Peer-review panels for particular competitions
(B) Federal employment limitation
(3) Use of discretionary funds for administrative purposes
(A) Expenses and fees of non-Federal panel members
(B) Administrative support
Last modified on November 7, 2019