§1472. Community parent resource centers
(a) Program authorized
- The Secretary may award grants to, and enter into contracts and cooperative agreements with, local parent organizations to support community parent resource centers that will help ensure that underserved parents of children with disabilities, including low income parents, parents of limited English proficient children, and parents with disabilities, have the training and information the parents need to enable the parents to participate effectively in helping their children with disabilities—
- (A) to meet developmental and functional goals, and challenging academic achievement goals that have been established for all children; and
- (B) to be prepared to lead productive independent adult lives, to the maximum extent possible.
- In this section, the term “local parent organization” means a parent organization, as defined in section 1471(a)(2) of this title, that—
- (A) has a board of directors the majority of whom are parents of children with disabilities ages birth through 26 from the community to be served; and
- (B) has as its mission serving parents of children with disabilities who—
(1) In general
(2) Definition of local parent organization
(b) Required activities
Each community parent resource center assisted under this section shall—
- (1) provide training and information that meets the training and information needs of parents of children with disabilities proposed to be served by the grant, contract, or cooperative agreement;
- (2) carry out the activities required of parent training and information centers under paragraphs (2) through (9) of section 1471(b) of this title;
- (3) establish cooperative partnerships with the parent training and information centers funded under section 1471 of this title; and
- (4) be designed to meet the specific needs of families who experience significant isolation from available sources of information and support.