(d) Formula grants
- Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), for the first fiscal year for which the amount appropriated under section 1455 of this title, that remains after the Secretary reserves funds under subsection (e) for the fiscal year, is equal to or greater than $100,000,000, and for each fiscal year thereafter, the Secretary shall allot to each State educational agency, whose application meets the requirements of this part, an amount that bears the same relation to the amount remaining as the amount the State received under section 1411(d) of this title for that fiscal year bears to the amount of funds received by all States (whose applications meet the requirements of this part) under section 1411(d) of this title for that fiscal year.
- The amount allotted under this subsection to any State educational agency that received a competitive multi-year grant under subsection (c) for which the grant period has not expired shall be not less than the amount specified for that fiscal year in the State educational agency’s grant award document under that subsection.
- Each such State educational agency shall use the minimum amount described in subparagraph (A) for the activities described in the State educational agency’s competitive grant award document for that year, unless the Secretary approves a request from the State educational agency to spend the funds on other activities.
- The amount of any State educational agency’s allotment under this subsection for any fiscal year shall not be less than—
- (A) the greater of $500,000 or ½ of 1 percent of the total amount available under this subsection for that year, in the case of each of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
- (B) $80,000, in the case of an outlying area.
- In using grant funds allotted under paragraph (1), a State educational agency shall, through grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements, undertake activities that significantly and directly benefit the local educational agencies in the State.
(1) In general
(2) Minimum allotments for States that received competitive grants
(A) In general
(B) Special rule
(3) Minimum allotment
(4) Direct benefit
Last modified on November 7, 2019