(c) Competitive grants
- Except as provided in subsection (d), for any fiscal year for which the amount appropriated under section 1455 of this title, that remains after the Secretary reserves funds under subsection (e) for the fiscal year, is less than $100,000,000, the Secretary shall award grants, on a competitive basis, to State educational agencies to carry out the activities described in the State plan submitted under section 1453 of this title.
- In awarding grants under paragraph (1), the Secretary may give priority to State educational agencies that—
- (A) are in States with the greatest personnel shortages; or
- (B) demonstrate the greatest difficulty meeting the requirements of section 1412(a)(14) of this title.
- The Secretary shall make a grant to each State educational agency selected under paragraph (1) in an amount for each fiscal year that is—
- (A) not less than $500,000, nor more than $4,000,000, in the case of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; and
- (B) not less than $80,000 in the case of an outlying area.
- The Secretary may increase the amounts of grants under paragraph (4) to account for inflation.
- The Secretary shall determine the amount of a grant under paragraph (1) after considering—
- (A) the amount of funds available for making the grants;
- (B) the relative population of the State or outlying area;
- (C) the types of activities proposed by the State or outlying area;
- (D) the alignment of proposed activities with section 1412(a)(14) of this title;
- (E) the alignment of proposed activities with the State plans and applications submitted under sections 6311 and 6611(d) 1 respectively, of this title; and
- (F) the use, as appropriate, of scientifically based research activities.
(1) In general
(3) Minimum amount
(4) Increase in amount
Last modified on November 7, 2019