§1418. Program information
(a) In general
Each State that receives assistance under this subchapter, and the Secretary of the Interior, shall provide data each year to the Secretary of Education and the public on the following:
- (A) The number and percentage of children with disabilities, by race, ethnicity, limited English proficiency status, gender, and disability category, who are in each of the following separate categories:
- (i) Receiving a free appropriate public education.
- (ii) Participating in regular education.
(b) Data reporting
- The data described in subsection (a) shall be publicly reported by each State in a manner that does not result in the disclosure of data identifiable to individual children.
- The Secretary may permit States and the Secretary of the Interior to obtain the data described in subsection (a) through sampling.
(1) Protection of identifiable data
(c) Technical assistance
The Secretary may provide technical assistance to States to ensure compliance with the data collection and reporting requirements under this chapter.
- Each State that receives assistance under this subchapter, and the Secretary of the Interior, shall provide for the collection and examination of data to determine if significant disproportionality based on race and ethnicity is occurring in the State and the local educational agencies of the State with respect to—
- (A) the identification of children as children with disabilities, including the identification of children as children with disabilities in accordance with a particular impairment described in section 1401(3) of this title;
- (B) the placement in particular educational settings of such children; and
- (C) the incidence, duration, and type of disciplinary actions, including suspensions and expulsions.
- In the case of a determination of significant disproportionality with respect to the identification of children as children with disabilities, or the placement in particular educational settings of such children, in accordance with paragraph (1), the State or the Secretary of the Interior, as the case may be, shall—
- (A) provide for the review and, if appropriate, revision of the policies, procedures, and practices used in such identification or placement to ensure that such policies, procedures, and practices comply with the requirements of this chapter;
- (B) require any local educational agency identified under paragraph (1) to reserve the maximum amount of funds under section 1413(f) of this title to provide comprehensive coordinated early intervening services to serve children in the local educational agency, particularly children in those groups that were significantly overidentified under paragraph (1); and
- (C) require the local educational agency to publicly report on the revision of policies, practices, and procedures described under subparagraph (A).
(1) In general
(2) Review and revision of policies, practices, and procedures
Last modified on November 7, 2019