By: The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
WASHINGTON, DC (Nov. 17, 2023) – The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) celebrated the 9th annual National Apprenticeship Week, Nov. 13-19.
National Apprenticeship Week spotlights the value of registered apprenticeship, an “industry-driven, high-quality career pathway where employers can develop and prepare their future workforce, and individuals can obtain paid work experience, receive progressive wage increases, classroom instruction, and a portable, nationally-recognized credential,” according to Apprenticeship.gov.
Registered apprenticeships can serve as one venue for individuals with disabilities to receive the career training they need to get and maintain a job and seek advancement in their chosen career field.
OSERS provided the following resources for those interested in learning more about registered apprenticeships:
- A Proclamation on National Apprenticeship Week, 2023 from President Joe Biden
- Overview of registered apprenticeships from the U.S. Department of Labor
Webinars, Video Series and Podcast
- #ApprenticeshipWorks video series from Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Apprenticeship for All podcast from Partnership on Inclusive Apprenticeship (PIA)
- Registered Apprenticeship: Job Seekers with Disabilities Please Apply! webinar from the LEAD Center
- Youth Apprenticeships in Rehabilitation Counseling: Engaging Students and Youth with Disabilities to Initiate a Career Path webinar from Vocational Rehabilitation Technical Assistance Center for Quality Employment (VRTAC-QE)
Resources and Resource Guides
- Apprenticeships/Pre-Apprenticeships from VRTAC-QE
- Apprenticeship Resources Webpage from RAISE Center
- Business Engagement: Inclusive Apprenticeships from the National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials (NCRTM)
- A Funding Guide For Supporting a Registered Teacher Apprenticeship Program With Federal and State Funds (PDF) from CEEDAR Center
- Get Training: Apprenticeships from NCRTM
- Inclusive Apprenticeships from NCRTM
- Modernizing Apprenticeships: Disability, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility from PIA and VRTAC-QE
- Step-by-Step Apprenticeship Implementation Guide (PDF) from Job-Driven VR Technical Assistance Center
- Take a Seat at the Table: The Role of Educator Preparation Programs in Teacher Apprenticeship Programs (PDF) from CEEDAR Center
Remember to follow OSERS on Twitter for more resources related to individuals with disabilities.
Last modified on November 20, 2023