New OSEP Fast Facts Highlights Children Ages 3 through 5 With Disabilities

Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Service, Office of Special Education Programs. OSEP Fast Facts: Children 3 - 5 served under Part B, Section 619 of the IDEA. The Preschool Grants program provides formula grants to states, D.C., and Puerto Rico to make available special education and related services for children with disabilities aged 3 through 5. Percent of the Population, Ages 3-5, Served Under IDEA, Part B in the United States: 2018-19. The percent of the population, ages 3 through 5, served under IDEA, Part B, for the United States and Outlying Areas is 6.75%. Map of U.S. Source: U.S. Department of Education, EDFacts Data Warehouse (EDW): “IDEA Part B Child Count and Educational Environments Collection,” 2018-19. All data for Wisconsin were suppressed due to data quality concerns. U.S. Bureau of the Census. "2018 State Population Estimates by Age, Sex, Race and Hispanic Origin". Data accessed July 2019 from

By the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services

WASHINGTON (Nov. 2, 2020) – The Office of Special Education Programs released a new OSEP Fast Facts infographic looking at data related to children aged 3 through 5 with disabilities.

The infographic specifically looks at those children served under the Part B, section 619, of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.

The infographic uses data collected under IDEA section 618.

OSEP staff identified Fast Fact highlights for school year 2018-19, including:

  • 6.75% of the population ages 3 through 5 in the U.S. and Outlying Areas received services under IDEA, Part B.
  • Males were more likely to be served than females.
  • 45.5% of children who received services attended a regular early childhood program and received the majority of services in that location. The other 54.5% of children who received services received the majority of services in another location including separate special education class, separate school or residential facility, service provider location, or home.
  • The majority were identified with a speech or language impairment or developmental delay as the primary disability.

OSEP Fast Facts is an ongoing effort to display data from the 12 data collections authorized under IDEA Section 618 into graphic, visual representations with the intent to present 618 data quickly and clearly.

Visit the OSEP Fast Facts page for existing and future Fast Facts.

Severe Discrepancy
post-template-default single single-post postid-81828 single-format-standard wp-custom-logo wp-embed-responsive with-font-selector no-anchor-scroll footer-on-bottom animate-body-popup social-brand-colors hide-focus-outline link-style-standard has-sidebar content-title-style-normal content-width-normal content-style-boxed content-vertical-padding-show non-transparent-header mobile-non-transparent-header kadence-elementor-colors elementor-default elementor-kit-82278

Last modified on November 2, 2020