Welcome to the U.S. Department of Education’s Center for Faith and Opportunity Initiatives, one of the 13 federal agency offices under the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative. We work to promote student-driven education through engagement with faith leaders and organizations, both faith-based and community-focused.
On May 3, 2018, President Trump signed an Executive Order to ensure that faith-based and community organizations have strong advocates in the White House—and throughout the rest of the Federal Government. The signing coincided with the annual National Day of Prayer at the White House. The order creates a White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative within the Executive Office of the President.
More resources are available here:
Our Purpose (Outreach and Policy):
- Serve as a voice within the U.S. Department of Education and provide information to faith and community leaders.
- Provide policy recommendations as a part of the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative.
Our primary goals are to:
- Explore multiple education options with faith-based and community leaders who work to promote the success of each individual student.
- Support the Department’s mission by highlighting innovative ways in which education leaders are meeting the needs of students in K-12 and higher education.
- Encourage innovation and expansion in STEM Education within the federal government while also encouraging innovative, student-driven methods.
- Provide recommendations on education programs and policies where faith-based and community organizations may partner and/or deliver more effective solutions without discrimination or unduly burdensome engagement within the federal government.
- Provide faith-based and community leaders with information on career, technical, and educational opportunities.
Please note: The Center does not make funding decisions, which are made through procedures established by each departmental grant program – typically involving a competitive process. All applicants compete on an equal basis for department funds.